Family should be involved and supporting in change work and Healing, just like they are when their member has an physical illness.
And many problems are generated in family environment and thus can be a useful intervention, if the family is on board and willing to make some changes. Dramatic, positive things can happen very fast.
Quite often, they are not willing to make changes themselves and have a different perspective about their members problems. Like, “he/she does it on purpose to irritate me/us”, “he/she has always been shy, scared and dependent on me/us”, “he/she never learns, is always down, what can I do”, “he/she is just crazy “. “I never said/did that”. Which can have a toxic effect on the individual, especially a child/adolescent.
Any intervention should be supported by the family and friends of the individual.
Though, many therapists are aware that a client may lie to get sympathy, or “Justify” their persistent problems, even if they come alone, to look good in the eyes of the therapist.
- But the good therapists like to work on the future and the specific problems of the individual in the present situation, not much focus is on the past,thats very much in CBT.
- Past is already over.
The familys and friends perspective can be gained by the therapists to better the individuals perceived reality.
Family and friends can learn to understand the individual, their perspective and behave, affect in different ways for the individual to heal and change at a faster, permanent basis.
- Moreover, it’s the therapist – client relationship that’s the important factor in change work. Making the individual understand and take responsibility of his/her life, behaviors, actions, and feelings.
- Understand and open up to a new way of looking at problems, future and life. Or better maps, as understood in Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP).
- Opening up many better choices, so that individual learn from their problems and move on in life.
- Families can be more accepting and supportive of the individual and thus aid the healing process.
Kung fu Mind | NLP Training Online NLP Courses India NLP Coaching